It’s not always perfectly sunny days, fluffy feelings, and cozy thoughts. Some days we all experience an overload of emotions, trials, and tribulations. That’s normal. How to overcome these difficult times is the key to getting through anything and coming out on top, feeling better than ever before. Whether you are someone who is experiencing a job loss, financial setback, loss of a loved one, substance abuse issues, relationship troubles, or abuse in any way, it’s important for you to continue reading this blog.
Throughout our lives, there are times trial and error, devastating loss and despair, incredible breakthroughs and blessings. We must be aware of everything that is going on mentally, physically, and emotionally. Our experiences are what shapes us and when we are aware of those emotions, without numbing them, working through them, we are able to move forward with grace and prosperity.
The problem many people have is being stuck in the past. This can lead to increased drinking and drug abuse. It can ruin relationships and careers. It can be detrimental to an individual’s overall wellbeing– which is something we do not want!
Practicing to let go may seem like a challenging task to many people and that’s understandable. The truth is most of us don’t know what that even means or how to begin “letting go.” One of the best ways to do this is by addressing the source of your pain. Come to terms with what it is that is holding you back and then begin healing the root cause of that pain. Healing comes in many forms but one of the most commons ways of going about healing is to talk to a therapist, exercise a creative outlet, meditating, cut out drugs and alcohol, and get physical (start working out daily).
Two of my favorite types of meditation are one, body scanning which requires you to systematically focus on different parts of your body from your toes to the muscles in your face. The other is when you sit quietly in a safe space, close your eyes, and begin imagining all the things that bother you, hold you back, or what you want to let go of and picture them in a cloud. Then imagine that cloud dissolving and going away. I recommend spending 30 minutes a day practicing meditation to help calm your mind and heal from the past. It’s a great way to let go and move forward into a brighter future.
It’s important to talk to someone about what you’re going through and not suppressing your emotions. Vulnerability is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe people your past have taken advantage of your vulnerability and now you have a tall sturdy wall around your heart, not letting anyone get close. I understand that, but keeping things inside and not opening up is not a healthy coping mechanism. Pay closer attention to people and try to see their intentions. This will help you navigate through good and evil. Listen to your intuition and go with your gut feeling.
When you find a safe confidant, begin opening up and discussing what is going on, what happened in your past that you keep revisiting, what wounds have been left unhealed, and begin doing everything you can to get better become the healthy and strong person you’ve always wanted to be.
Here are 10 helpful tips to get through some of life’s greatest challenges.
1. Surround yourself with positive influences who can be there for you and encourage you to make smart choices and live a healthy lifestyle.
2. Connect to your creative passions whether that be writing, painting, playing music, sculpturing, photography, or design of any kind.
3. Spend an hour a day exercising (doing yoga, running, weightlifting, swimming, hiking, kickboxing, or playing a sport).
4. Journal in the morning or at night to release your thoughts and feelings down on paper.
5. Cut out alcohol from your lifestyle so you can think clearly and make better choices.
6. Be aware of what you give your time and energy to. Engage in only positive interactions that lift your spirit rather than dragging you down. This could mean cutting out a toxic person from your life or distancing yourself from them. Also helps to limit the time you spend watching the news as it’s usually filled with a lot of negativity.
7. Try a new hobby.
8. Mix up your routine.
9. Get outside and connect with nature.
10. Spend an hour a day reading a novel or an informative books that lures your interest.
No matter how tough the day is, don’t give up on yourself. Brighter days are coming and they are waiting for you to overcome the current hurdles. You are far more powerful than you may imagine right now, but it’s true. Commit to bettering yourself and your life will unfold with many blessings. Nothing stays the same forever. Everything is temporary and it’s important to remember this in good times and in bad. Be patient and pray. Hold on that hope inside your heart that is telling you things are going to get better because they will and soon you will see.